20/10/2009

My original slow-cooked spicy pork and black bean stew

I winged an original recipe last night that was uber easy and uber tasty, and, hence, I'm writing it down for y'all to enjoy.

Ingredients:

  • 500g pork belly
  • Can of black beans
  • 2 onions
  • 3 tomatoes and a glug of passata/can of chopped tomatoes
  • Spices: cumin, paprika and chilli
  • Couple of cloves of garlic
  • Bit of stock
  • 2 limes

Recipe: Prepare your pork belly by removing any skin then chopping it into inch by inch chunks. Leave as much fat as possible on. Chop the onions and then lob into a pot with some olive oil/butter to soften. Add the pork, then add a teaspoon-and-a-half-ful of each of the spices, along with some salt and pepper. Lob in the garlic (just crush it first). Then add your black beans having rinsed them first (in the future I'd go with more black beans) and tomatoey stuff. Chuck in your stock, then top up the pan with water until about couple of inches from full. Get it boiling, then whack a lid on and put in an oven at 150°C for as long as you can take. I left mine for a good 3 hours.

Go to rugby training.

Come back dead exhausted and hungry. Remove the pot from the oven and see what you've got. Taste. Add the juice from your limes and then add more spices to taste. It should be deliciously warming and rich. I was aiming for a thick texture, so I reduced it down quite a lot whilst I had a shower. Finally, I was so hungry I couldn't wait any longer and added some flour to thicken it (the trick is to dissolve the flour in cold water first, then to ensure there are no lumps to pour it through a tea strainer when adding). Mix. Boil down. Consume and enter food nirvana.

I ate mine as burritos with some sour cream, cheese, guacamole and salad in a wrap, but you could pretty much do anything with it- with rice would be quite nice, or maybe with pasta. It'd be awesome however you ate it.

Pork belly rocks my world.

No comments: